When I started planning my sunburst mirror, my goal was to create one that was different from all the others out there. I tried using different materials and different patterns, but I just couldn't come up with something that was going to be as inexpensive as the sunburst mirror from Centsational Girl. So.....many trial and error sessions later....I basically ended up copying her sunburst.
Creativity FAIL, money saving WIN. My mirror is a bit bigger than hers at 31 inches and I used a few different materials. Here's a breakdown of what I used and what it cost:
- 12"x12" plywood board from Michael's: $2.80 with coupon (regularly $3.99)
- Pack of wooden shims from Lowe's: $3.50
- 8.5" framed circle mirror that I miraculously found at T.J.Maxx: $7.99
Total: about $15
The only big difference in my mirror and the one that I copied is the mirror itself. I experimented with a few different ways to make the edges of a plain mirror look finished, and I had settled on using a painted embroidery hoop as a frame when I came across a framed mirror that was the perfect size in T.J. Maxx. When I spotted it, it was like the sky opened up and angels were singing.
Because my frame was a bit different, I placed the shims onto my board differently. Instead of putting the mirror on the board first and just putting the shims up against the mirror, I traced the mirror onto the board and placed my shims about an eighth of an inch inside the circle so my mirror would rest on top of them.
The shorter shims are two inches shorter than the long ones. The nice thing about using shims is that they're so thin at the bottom that you can just cut off the end with scissors. No saw necessary.
Once I had the shims placed and glued, I used a bowl to weigh them down to make sure they were touching the board.
I attached the mirror to the board with wood glue on the edges and a big dollop of liquid nails in the center.
Another trial and error aspect of the mirror was figuring out what color it should be.
I only used paint that I already had and I settled on a color called Burnished Brandy by Sherwin Williams for the longer sticks and I used the same cream paint that I used on my trunk for the shorter sticks.
Here's the finished product once again:
It's not exactly original (I'm OK with that), but it fills that wall so nicely. I'm really happy with the end product and the fact that it cost so little.
I'll be linking up to: