Monday, August 15, 2011

DIY Burlap Table Runner


This table runner ended up being a lot more plain Jane than I had originally intended.  I already posted a picture of my first failed attempt.  Well, here's a picture of my second:
Not cool.  I think I realized that it wasn't going to work as soon as I put the first stencil on, but I kept going and got about half way done.  By that point it was really obvious that I should just keep it simple.  Since our dining area is practically in our living room, it just didn't look right to try and put a different pattern in there.

This runner was so easy that it hardly needs a step-by-step guide to explain, but I took the pictures so I'm gonna post 'em anyway.

(Here's the short version if you're crunched for time:  1. Cut a strip of burlap and hem it.  2.  Put it on your table.)

I made a pattern out of poster board to trace onto my burlap.  Our table is a 42" square and the runner is about 18" wide and 55" long.

I lined up the the poster board with the lines I drew and folded down the edges of the burlap and ironed them so my hem would be nice a straight.
I tucked the raw edges under to make the hem and pinned, then ironed again.
Then I sewed!
 Done and done!
I know you're all probably amazed by my creativity and sewing skills, but try not to be too jealous. ;)

All joking aside, I like the way my runner turned out even though it's not original or fancy.  I like the neutral color and I like the texture of the burlap.  Now I just need to find some fabric to make some placemats...maybe I'll get a little facy with those.

I ALMOST FORGOT!  I used a yard and a half of burlap which cost a whopping $4.39 and I have some left over.  Way cheaper than this guy.

I'll be linking up at:





4 comments:

InteriorGroupie said...

Great job! I love it

Unknown said...

Thanks for the laugh! It did end up turning out great though despite the failed attempts. The end result is what matters (and being able to laugh about the flops). Can't wait to see what you do next!

Bunny Jean said...

I host a Bunny Hop Party every Wednesday for newish bloggers, and I would like to invite you. The linky is open until Sunday, but don't wait too long ;)

I am also a new follower :)

xoxo Bunny Jean
Bunny Jean's Decor and More (my main blog)

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Fantastic job. I love anything made with burlap. Glad you didn't give up on it, it turned out great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...