Monday, May 9, 2011

My First, and Perhaps Only, Attempt at Flower Arranging

I definitely learned that flower arranging is not as easy as I thought it would be. I bought a huge bunch of flowers at the Farmer's Market for my mom, and while it was pretty, there were some flowers in the mix that I didn't like and the bouquet didn't really have a distinct shape.  I decided that I was going to DIY an arrangement.

This is what I had to work with:
I went to Martha for some help and found this:
via
I don't think my tape was strong enough and after about 15 minutes my first arrangement that looked like this (not bad, huh?)...
...looked like a hot mess.  Everything started falling over.  Not good.

Back to Martha.
via
I edited a little (less is more right?) and put the peonies, one apple, and a few snapdragons together with a rubber band.  I used a container with a smaller opening this time so I was able to shove in leaves and other branches of flowers without them moving.

Here's version #2:
Good, not great. 

Next time (if there is one) I'll have to invest in something to help me out a bit.  Like one of these or one of these.

I hope all the mommies had a wonderful day on Sunday, and since I didn't mention it on the blog yesterday because I was a little busy with our Mother's Day festivities (lunch out, trip to Costco, dinner at Gramma's), "Happy Mother's Day Mom!"  You're the best mom and Nana!

 




4 comments:

Kim @ keller-creative said...

When I'm not using a clear vase I like to use floral foam to help everything keep its shape. You can usually find it at the dollar store. Gorgeous flowers!

suelew said...

I didn't realize that you arranged the flowers! I thought that you had bought them that way. Great job! --and thanks! Love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Beautiful floral arrangement, should definitely not be your last attempt. I think you have a natural flair for it!

Hannah said...

Try using floral tape or wire. It is sold at Micheal's and it comes in different color greens and browns. That way if you use a clear vase you wont see what is holding it all together :) I think you did a great job though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...