Monday, January 30, 2012

Brown Bomb


OK.  So this is kind of embarrassing, but I'm gonna share anyway.  I was hoping to have a beautiful, new, white chair that I got a great deal on to show off today.  Instead, I have a brown chair that's being returned and I'm back to square one of my cheap chair hunt. 

First off, here's why I thought I was getting a white chair.

via

That is exactly what the listing on the Williams Sonoma website looks like.  NO WHERE does it say that the upholstery is brown or "walnut".  Oh, and when I ordered my chair the sale price was $479, so I was in a pretty big hurry to place the order before such a great deal was gone.

Here's the embarrassing part:  I was so excited to get a chair at almost $1000 off the original price that I didn't even realize that the "walnut" in the description was referring to the fabric.  No warning flags went off, no thoughts, of, "Hmm, that's funny maybe I should call about that and possibly cancel my order."


Please tell me that I'm not crazy and that I had every reason to be completely shocked when a brown chair showed up at my house! 

After a short freak-out session and a chat with customer service (I kept the freak-out separate from the customer service call) I got them to agree to come pick the chair up and give us a full refund.  Whew!

Anyways, I have definitely learned my lesson.  From now on, every online order will be read and scrutinized a million times before I click "place order."

I'm a bit bummed that I didn't get the deal that I thought I was getting.  The chair really is great and very high quality.  It's comfortable and it's the perfect size and style I was looking for, just not the right color.  Now I have to start searching all over again. 

I'll let you know what I come up with!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree that it was misleading but I've done that too where I am misleaded with information.

So sad that you were so excited and have to return it. However VERY nice of them they're letting you return it being that it says right there it's a final sale! That says something about their Customer Service!

Hope you find another great deal

Pamela
PBJstories.com

Jen said...

Yeah, I think you were completely justified in thinking this would be white. And since they are agreeing to accept a return on it despite their "final" sale, I'm betting they think so too. But if you like it (and it is a great deal), consider making a white slipcover. As someone with all white couches/chairs, let me tell ya: you want it removable so you can toss it in the wash, especially with kids.

casacaudill said...

I am in total agreement with you. Given that they continued to show the chair in white fabric, I would totally have thought you were choosing a different color wood for the base.

Thank goodness they're willing to accept the return. I wonder if they looked at the listing and said a big old "Doh!"

Aaron said...

Thank you for the validation!

Jen, I considered making a slip cover, but I kind of went over budget with the chair in the first place so I couldn't justify spending another penny on it.

I'm just so glad they're taking it back!

I think the price of $479 that I got was a glitch and they'll turn around and sell it for $749. They're probably happy to get it back!

Gwynne said...

Agreed it's not the friendliest UX description and it doesn't explicitly say "Color: Walnut" where you add the quantity to your cart. But for such a great deal, why didn't you create a slip cover using some less expensive fabric for the time being and reupholster when you get a chance? Good luck hunting again!

Stephanie said...

I totally would have thought that Walnut was describing the legs. Walnut is a wood color, isn't it? At least they let you return it!

karaoke songs said...

I really like this sofa.It look so different and wonderful.There are many different type of colors and designs are available in the sofa.It also improve beauty in the home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...