Monday, April 4, 2011

Turning My "Wanter" Off

via
This sofa and the matching love seat are on sale at JC Penny right now for $799 each.  Not a bad price, especially when you consider that it's $200 cheaper than the least expensive sofa at Pottery Barn.

It's exactly what I'm looking for too.  Neutral with clean lines.  I can dress it up or down, and it'll go with most color schemes.

As I've been working on changing the color scheme in my living room, the one thing that's standing in my way of having the look that I want is my sofa set.  My sofa and love seat are skirted, camel back, and upholstered in  a yellow-y neutral chenille.  Blah. 

The yellow-y fabric makes me think my sofas belong in a room that looks like this:

via
Definitely not the look I'm going for.

My husband and I bought our sofa and love seat four years ago, back when I knew that I wanted my house to look pretty, but I didn't really have a grasp on my own personal style.

Our set was also an awesome deal.  We stumbled on it in a furniture store that was changing location and trying to get rid of their inventory before they moved.  We bought both pieces for $650.  Yes, a new sofa and love seat for $650.  They're decent quality too.  As much as I'd like to get new sofas, I don't think I could bring myself to pay much more than that on a new set.   Since sofas are hard to come by at $650 for two, I most likely won't be getting them any time soon.

Of course reupholstering our sofas would be cheaper than buying new ones, but it's still not exactly cheap.  I wish I could get my sofas to look a little more like this:
via
I could definitely work with that.

Since buying new sofas, nor reupholstery are options, this is what I'm going to do:  I'm going to turn my "wanter" off.  Yes, you read that right, "wanter."  We all have it.  That voice (urge, impulse, whatever) that tells us that there is something that we should have that we currently don't have.  The "wanter" also usually tells us that we should have that thing the very instant the voice, urge, or impulse kicks in.  Sometimes the "wanter" is sneaky and can convince us that the thing we want is actually a need.

The truth is that I don't need sofas, so I'm going to work with what I've got and I'm going to be happy with it.  I'm going to be thankful that I've got furniture in the fist place and that I've got a roof to put it under.

Maybe I'll stumble across a killer deal sometime soon (let me know if you find a sofa and love seat for about $200, OK?) or I'll find a way to make inexpensive slip covers with my horrible developing seamstress skills.  For now my wanter is officially off and I am going to be content with what I have.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great observation. I am trying to do the same thing..and not go to Target, Big Lots or HomeGoods anymore! I figure the money I save canm go towards a big proiject that has more impact than new vases or a pillow-right?

Unknown said...

Well said! Sometimes blogging can make the Wanter talk louder! I'm new to your blog and am having fun reading old posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...