Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Space-y Nursery

This nursery has been in the works since December of 2009.  Given that amount of time I should have been able to decorate a nursery worthy of Mariah Carey's twins.  I'm sure she would not approve of my little 9x12 space, but I'm much happier with it now than before.
Here's a little reminder:
OK.  This picture is particularly bad, but you can see that there were big changes made just with some paint and accessories. 

The big items had to stay.  As much as I love vintage-modern style cribs and mis-matchy dressers now, I didn't know that I loved them when I bought my furniture.  I also kind of bought them because my due date was getting close and I needed something.   I think I was able to bring a tiny bit of the vintage-modern style in with they pennant banner and vintage-looking space prints in the gallery wall.
You may remember this post...well....I decided not to paint my chair.  Now that the walls are lightened up, it doesn't seem like it needs it so bad.  I'll just keep the cream slip cover I bought to go in the next baby's nursery (possibly still years away).

The changing pad cover and crib sheet I got is from the Dwell Studio for Target Space Baby line.  I made the pillow in the chair and pennant banner from the curtain panel that belongs to the set.

This is the little corner next to the crib.  These are the only "toys" that stay out and visible in the room.  Everything else is stored in the closet. 
My little solar system mobile came from PB Kids.  I wish I could say that I made it myself, but it was $40 and I don't think I could have created one for significantly less than that.
My husband actually picked out the lamp on the changing table.  It's from Ikea and I think it was $20.

Since we already had all the big ticket items and most of the accessories, my nursery change-up didn't end up costing a ton of money.

Here's the rundown:
-Striped Curtains: $40
-White Paint: $20
-Pennant Banner: $9
-Birth Stats Print: $6

$75 for a whole new look!

Like always, I'll probably continue to add little things to the room over time.  I really want to re-cover a bean bag chair using this tutorial to put by the book racks. I'm also still considering putting something on the walls on either side of the crib.

I'll keep the blog updated with any changes I make!

18 comments:

InteriorGroupie said...

OH my, I love the solar system theme - how wonderful and thought provoking for the little one! Something that can totally grow with the baby too. You've done a great job you must be so happy with the changes/improvements.

Anonymous said...

The room looks great! And you could always try changing out the knobs on the dresser if you're not totally satisfied with it.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

This is super cute!! I was looking for curtain tutorials for some inspiration for my front room. I'm planning on making the stripe curtains for my daughters room. Been planning it since forever but not have gotten the energy to do it yet. It will be fun. Anyway, the nursery is super sweet! I love all the details like the initial and the banner. Great job!! I'm sure it makes you very happy!

Julie from Richmond, Va said...

Wow! What a transformation! It looks great. I just love the frame with your son's birth statistics. Where did you get it? P.S. I voted for you on projectnursery.com! :)

Ashley said...

I LOVE this nursery!!! How did you do the circle around the letter??~

Aaron said...

Oh, that circle! I used a string with a pencil attached to it and lightly traced it onto the wall. Then I took a tiny paint brush and outlined it, then filled it in.

Very time consuming and still not perfect...but oh, well.

Ashley said...

It looks perfect!!! You did a great job!~

Stephanie Walker said...

Hi! Fabulous room. How did you do (or where did you get) the book racks? I've been looking for something like this for the past year... haven't wanted to pay a ton and willing to build if needed.

Aaron said...

Stephaie,

I wish I could tell you that my book racks were really cheap or that I made them myself, but they were a gift and they're from PB Teen. Womp womp.

Sorry that's not much help. I have seen tutorials out there for DIY versions.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

Love your nursery! I am working on making some PB inspired picture shelves similar to your book shelves. I just have to figure out how to mount them. Do you mind sharing the paint colors you used in the nursery. I am looking to do a stripe like that in my son's big boy room and have the hardest time picking out paint that coordinates. Thanks!

Aaron said...

Picking out paint can be hard and I'm sorry to say that I won't be that much help. I mixed that blue together myself using paint I already had. It's Ben Moore blue bayou with some light gray and white.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I have a feeling I will have to do the same. I have a blue/ green color carpet and no room in the budget to change that. One more question if you don't mind. Did you hem the curtains at all? They look so luxe. I got the same ones from Ikea today and was planning to hem to 85" but then thought since I am painting anyway that I should move the curtain rod up. We have high ceilings. What do you think?
Thanks for the inspiration, Danielle

Aaron said...

Absolutely move those curtain rods up. Hang 'em high and wide! It makes such a big difference!

Melanie said...

Absolutely love the room!

Ashweekins said...

How did you measure for the blue stripe on the wall? Did you measure from the ceiling or the floor? How wide is the stripe?

My crib is the same style with the arch, and I want our nursery painted very similar to yours. I am a painting newbie, so we are going to hire someone to paint for us, but I would like to be able to tell them exactly what I want.

Thanks!

Ashweekins said...

Also, how tall are your ceilings?

Thanks!

Aaron said...

Ashweekins,

I just painted over the stripe! We have nine foot ceilings, though, and I'm pretty sure the stripe was about 18 inches.

I just kind of eyeballed it when I painted and used a laser level and tape to get the lines straight.

Sorry that's not much help!

domonique @ a bowl full of simple said...

very cute! love the navy and green combo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...