Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mirror, Mirror...

Can you guess what I'm working on?  It only took me 2 years to get around to it.  (That's probably why I look so goofy...I'm so happy to finally get this mirror finished!)  When I'm done I will have spent $45 on a 70" x 40" mirror.  Thank goodness for Craigslist, $15 worth of molding, and an uncle with a miter saw (thanks Uncle Jimmy!).

To help me appreciate my cheap-o mirror even more, here are some giant, beautiful mirrors that are waaaaay out of my price rage.
via
I'll take two, please...oh wait...that would cost $1000.

via
I have a thing for paned mirrors.  Mine won't have them right away, but I may make the frame chunkier and add panes later on down the road. 

This last one is not exactly paned, but it is super cool.


It would probably cost way less than $698 to recreate this look.

Have y'all done any mirror DIY?  I'd love to hear about it!

Have a great Wednesday.

4 comments:

Joanne B. said...

About 20 years ago, when the window pane mirror look became popular, I found a great mirror at Ikea. Bought 2 and with thin molding cut and glued the trim to the mirror to create the 'panes'. Those mirrors are still hanging in the eating area of my kitchen and still love them! Just a helpful hint which I didn't realize until after gluing the 'panes' on: be sure to paint the back of the trim you will use to make your panes before gluing on the panes! The mirror underneath reflects the bare wood even tho you glue the trim on top!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

I need to frame out my bathroom mirror... Please share the details so I can copy you :)

Aaron said...

Joanne, that is a great tip that, luckily, I read somewhere before I hung my frame up.

Kim, will do.

Ally @ Fever Thrift said...

Hi Aaron! I found your blog via Living on the Chic, and I'm so happy I did. I love to follow other thrifty bloggers AND teachers (I'm a thrifting blogger and I'll have my teaching license in December after I complete my full time internship this fall). I just had to comment on this post because I LOVE the mirror collage that Anthro did. I've been working on collecting wooden mirrors at the thrift stores and I plan to faux antique them. For now, I just have a little mirror collage in my entry way :) I'm so happy to be following you- you have such great tips.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...