Monday, March 14, 2011

No Sew, Lined Drapery Panels

My curtains are done and hung!

Here's the rundown of what it cost me:
6 yds. of fabric, $7/yard:  $42
2 Wal-Mart sheets, $4/sheet:  $8
2 rolls of Heat n Bond, $2.50/roll:  $5
                                  Supplies: $57
                                               -$35 (cash from old curtains sold on Craigslist)
                                      Total:  $20

$10 for each fully lined, 104 inch, floor to molding panel!  

These certainly aren't the most inexpensive curtains ever made.  I'd guess that they're actually pretty expensive DIY curtains because of the cost of the fabric.  I could have spent less, but that fabric (which looks more blue in person) was so perfect it was worth it, especially since I was able to sell my old curtains.

Here's what I did:
1.  Trim the sheet so that there is about three inches less sheet on three sides.

The picture below is the top of the curtain.  I left more at the top to create a pocket for a curtain rod.

2.  With the adhesive side down and paper liner up, iron on the Heat n Bond so that half is on the liner and half is on the drapery fabric.  Do this on the left, right and bottom of the panel.  Then peel the paper liner back.

 3.  Beginning with the bottom of the panel,  fold the curtain fabric twice.  The rough edge should not show and the adhesive should be covered so that when it's ironed, it will bond the hem.  Repeat with the other two sides.

4.  (I didn't get a picture of this! Oops)  Fold the top of the panel twice to cover up the rough edge (like the picture above, except it shouldn't be touching the lining) and iron on the Heat n Bond so that half is on the folded over fabric and half is on the back of the curtain fabric.  Peel off the paper liner and fold the top of the panel down so there is about three inches between where the top of the curtain will be and the part that you just hemmed.  This should create a pocket for the curtain rod.  Iron the fabric so that the Heat n Bond adheres.

Sorry if that last step was confusing!  Here's a picture of what it should look like:

I'm so glad to have these curtains finished.  Step one of re-coloring my living room:  done and done! 


Just a little footnote...this stuff is the bomb.  I ended up using exactly one roll for each panel.

Back to:




6 comments:

Unknown said...

great job... can't wait to see them in person!

Rachelle said...

They look really great. I'm useless at sewing so this is right up my alley. Are the curtains still machine washable if you use the heat & bond?

Aaron said...

Yes! You can still throw 'em in the washer.

Unknown said...

What a great idea to reuse sheet for drapery! Your curtains look fabulous!

Unknown said...

Great simple design. I need some lined curtains for a bedroom I am working on. I do sew and find it easier than the heat and bond, but your idea is just what I was looking for. I agree that fabric was worth it for the look you achieved! They look great.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting and I've got this linked to my no-sew curtains post as well today - nice job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...